Saturday 27 November 2010

Less than a month until Christmas - what does Tove Jansson have to teach us?




"Is it spring already?" murmured Moomin.

"Spring?" exclaimed Hemulen irritably. "It's Christmas, don't you know? - Christmas. And I haven't got anything, and nothing's arranged; and then in the middle of it all, they send me to dig you out. I've lost my yellow gloves, I expect, and everyone's running around in circles, and nothing's ready..."

And Hemulen stamped up the stairs again and climbed out of the attic skylight.

"Mamma! Wake up" called Moomin, frightened. "Something awful's happened. They call it Christmas."

"What do you mean?" said Moominmamma and put out her nose.

"I don't know really," said her son. "But nothing's arranged, and someone's lost and everyone's running around in circles. Perhaps it's the water rising again."

He shook the Snorkmaiden gently and whispered:

"Don't be frightened, but something awful's happened."

"Calm!" said Moominpappa. "Calm above all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment