Sunday 2 May 2010

My birthday

It was my birthday on Friday. BT made me breakfast in bed, with great solemnity and fixedness of purpose. There were no hot liquids involved, but I did get a glass of smoothie, a ginger biscuit and some muesli. And there were no spillages, so a great success all round.

Had a very family day. Rainbow gave me a really pretty necklace ( she went shopping with Granny) and Yer Man produced a fine selection of books and a night away in a hotel (!!!) in 2 weeks time. Mum and dad are having the kids, so a double gift from them.

The other big news is that my dating CT scan came back clear. My friend Julie went down to Exeter with me to get the results, bless her. Not the best job in the world, potentially, and it meant setting aside a whole afternoon, but if it had been my mum, and if it had been the wrong result, it would have been hard for me not to feel I had to take care of her. So Julie was a great choice. And as it turned out it was all fine.

I thought I would be really elated, but I feel kind of flat. Is that wrong? It was so exhausting waiting for the results. I feel I should have headed home and drunk champagne, but I just want to be very very quiet.

The quince tree has definitely survived. There is lots of blossom around - not on the quince yet, but the apple blossom is opening, and so is the cherry blossom. The plum blossom is pretty well over.  I don't see too many bees, which is a worry. I have wondered if we should get a hive, not so much for honey, more to ensure pollination. Beans are sprouting on the windowsill, peas are shooting up in the garden and I see my first potato plants poking through. And the leafy stuff is sprouting. The garlic looks fantastic. The onions are so-so. Should get my courgette plants soon (thanks, dad) and the pumpkin plants are showing 2 leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment